CIRCULO

ORIGINAL MUSIC REVIEWS


ARTIST - CARLA HASSETT
GENRE or STYLE - ADULT CONTEMPORARY / SAMBA
CD REVIEW - CIRCULO
COPYRIGHT & PUBLISHED - 2012 PAULISTA RECORDS
PRODUCED BY - LEO COSTA, CARLA HASSETT, JAMES GADSON



Many years ago, one of my first real jobs was working for a Record Store. I don't know why it was called a "Record" Store. At that time, we sold CDs & Cassette Tapes. Not one Vinyl Album (a.k.a. Record) could be found in the building. After the invention of the Compact Disc (a.k.a. CD), by the late 1980's only House DJs and collectors would buy vinyl albums.

Anywho, the music store had the CDs and Tapes placed into sections labeled with the category of the genre. Blues, Books (usually authors reading their own books), Country, Gospel, Jazz, Metal, Movie (tv / movie soundtracks) Opera, Rap, & Rock. If you went there looking for an artist that did not entirely fall completely into one of those categories, the CD would usually be placed in the World Music section.

The World Music section was the Miscellaneous section of the store. Some of the examples of the diverse artists who filled the World Music section are: The Benedictine Monks Chants, Music from River Dance, & the king of this section; Yanni (known to many Metal Heads as YAWNI). The World section was located at the back of the store. Few people would venture down to that section. I was not one of them. Back then, the music in the World Music section did not interest me. I was strictly a young Metal Head and would never be caught dead outside of the Rock or Metal sections, unless I was trying to help a customer or dust the shelves.

Times have changed. With just about everything digital now, most of the old brick & mortar Record Stores are gone. Also gone, are the categories or sections. There are many different genres & styles of music blends in the world. Today, because many original artists can not be labeled in one specific category or another, most new original music would be placed in the World Music section during the Record Store heyday. One giant music section... called World Music. My belief is that Music is one of the universal languages, which can be understood by all. A language the entire world can hear, if they would open up their ears and listen.



What does any of my ramblings have to do
with a review of Carla Hassett's new CD titled Circulo?

My first thought when listening to this CD was about how the art form of music has changed. Many original artists today, can not be placed in just one section of Music. Carla Hassett's is a prime example. Her vocal style can not be placed into just one style or genre.

The music on Circulo, has so many different styles & genres from song to song, as well as a taste of the South American culture. Many old record stores may have placed this CD in the "WORLD MUSIC" section of the store. I could have missed out on hearing this fine CD, if I was still working at that old Record Store. Circulo is a 12 song fine piece of art with various colors, temperatures, and emotions rolled into it. Each song has it's own life. None of them sound the same. All of them sound good. Some of the lyrics on this CD are in Portuguese and some are in English. Good Music boils down to good music, in any language. In any section.

Circulo is a Portuguese word. I looked up the English translation: it can mean circle, circuit, or zone. These three words may best describe the album as a whole.

Circle of life. According to her Biography, Carla Hassett has traveled from Brazil to the United States landing in Chicago then bouncing over to Los Angeles before returning back to Brazil. All of the songs, except for one cover, was written by Ms. Hassett. She has applied a bit of each of her traveling destinations, in her round trip of life's music experience, and translated it to this fine CD. This album, has a well rounded group of songs.

Circuit of Energy. It flows thought out each song. No matter what the tempo or temperature of the song, each tune has a electric charge to it. You can go from toe tapping one minute to hips swaying the next.  It depends on the feel from one song to the next. Sparked by good percussion and filled with good musicianship by the parade of musicians who joined throughout this body of work. The vocals from Carla Hassett completes the mood. Whether the song was Spicy, Soulful, or Seductive; they all have good energy.

In the Zone. Sometimes, when an original artist adds too many genres or styles together, it can become what I call "Music Mud." Music that is non-descriptive and messy. This is NOT the case with Circulo. The vocals along with musicianship of each song are completely in the zone. Some of the music has a bit of Adult Contemporary, with a bit of Smooth Jazz, a bit Light Rock, a bit of Soul, some of the music has a nice Samba/Carnival grove. The music does not just hit the zone, each song hits the bulls eye of the intended genre target.

I do have a problem with picking my favorite song from this CD.
It is probably one of the following:

"In a Song"  A soulful yet sexy piece of art for the ears. The singing presentation is very sexy. Sexy not slutty. There is a difference between those two different words. They describe two different worlds. I have never heard a line sung with more of a sexy presentation then on the lyric "...put my hands on your guitar." The presentation is a smooth caress of words. Soft, tender, and loving.

"Aquela Menina" An acoustically driven feel to it musically. The Music has a slightly familiar tone to it. A bit of light rock from the mid 1970's. But this song does not feel dated to that period of time. It is my opinion that the artists of that time; Linda Ronstadt, Fleetwood Mac, Jackson Browne, or The Eagles could not have written or performed a better piece of music. The words are in Portuguese so I doubt that any of those original artists could have written the lyrics, either.


There are two things that in my opinion could be "tweeked" on this fine album:

1) The mix could have been different on "Something Like You." A good song, but I felt that the horn mix seemed to sound more like keys and less horns. Missing is the raw tone which would have added to the tune. It doesn't kill the song. I just think that the sqwak of the horn would have added an element to enhance the song. This may have been a final mix oversight.

2) The little interludes of sound between songs seem short and wasted. I would have loved to heard them as an intro to a song or a complete song without lyrics. I especially like track 4 titled "Vinheta Samba" and track 8 titled "Vinheta Roda." Two catchy pieces of music that last 37 and 51 seconds respectfully. One moment they are there and as you get into them, poof they are gone and I found myself missing them as if they ran away before I could fully get to know them.

None of those things hurt the over all accomplishment of this Fine CD. I enjoy it eventhough I don't understand half of the lyrics.

The lyrics on "Janela" "Aquela Menina" and "Saideira Solidao" are in Portuguese. The title track "Circulo" has both Portuguese & English lyrics. The language dis-parody didn't bother me. Even though, I have enough trouble with the English language (because I speak a version called American) and I know only two words in Portugues; Circulo which I learned for this review and beijo which means kiss (my step mom always ends the call with beijo-beijo). Since I know very little Portuguese, Carla Hassett could be singing: "Original Music Reviews Sucks" and "If I ever meet Alex, I'm gonna kick him in the balls" for all that I know. I don't care what the words mean because I am singing (ok, humming) the words along with her. Hey, what is wrong with me butchering up two languages ?? (sorry mom)

If you understand Portuguese, you will understand some of the lyrics better than I can, but there is no way that you can like the music more than I do. No matter what language you understand or what type of music you normally listen too, you will understand and enjoy Circulo by Carla Hassett. After all, music is a universal language that belongs in the World Music section.

-Alex
ORIGINAL MUSIC REVIEWS


COPYRIGHT & PUBLISHED
2012 PAULISTA RECORDS
Los Angeles, CA
CIRCULO is available at :


For more info about CARLA HASSETT :
www.carlamusic.com
or "Like" Her on
FACEBOOK
or "Follow" Her on